Self Defense & Concealed Carry Classes
New Mexico Concealed Carry
Deliberate Defense has developed this training in accordance with the guidelines of the New Mexico Department of Public Safety. This course will teach participants the following lessons during a two-day, 15 hour NMDPS approved course of instruction presented by DPS licensed, NRA certified instructors:
- An introduction covering course goals and NM DPS requirements
- Federal, state and local criminal and civil laws pertaining to the purchase, ownership, transportation, use and possession of handguns, the law and the use of deadly force
- Terms and conditions of your NM Concealed Carry license
- Techniques for avoiding a criminal attack, controlling a violent confrontation, and techniques for nonviolent dispute resolution
- Adopting a "combat mindset," knowing what is a "proportionate" response, knowing when deadly force may be necessary, understanding the physiology and psychology of a deadly encounter, and transitioning control to the police
- Knowledge and safe handling of revolvers and semiautomatic handguns
- Safe storage of handguns and child safety
- Shooting fundamentals
- Demonstration of handgun competency on a firing range
- Ways to develop, improve, and maintain handgun shooting skills
For current New Mexico concealed carry license holders, Deliberate Defense also offers a two year refresher and four year renewal course as required by the New Mexico Concealed Handgun Carry Act in order to maintain the validity of your license.
The training is objective based and will focus on the development of a defensive mindset. The goal of the course will be to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitude to carry and use a concealed pistol ethically, responsibly, and with confidence.
The Defensive Pistol course is approximately 4 to 5 hours and approximately 200 rounds of factory ammunition. The course will cover the importance of carrying and using a pistol responsibly and ethically for personal protection, how the NRA Rules for Safe Gun Handling are applied to concealed carry, the basic principles of concealment, presenting a pistol and re-holstering, mental awareness, mental preparation to develop a defensive mindset for carrying and using a pistol for personal protection, techniques for avoiding life-threatening confrontations, explain of the psychological and physiological changes that may occur during an attack, flash sight picture, reloading under stress, clear common stoppages, cover and concealment, presenting a pistol from concealment and shoot targets at varying distances, and more.
Participant equipment requirements:
- Pistol- minimum calibers, 9mm. & up
- Two magazines or speed loaders
- Strong side holster that covers trigger; magazine holders or speed loader pouch
- Minimum 200 rounds of factory ammunition
- Clothing appropriate for concealed carry
- Eye and ear protection
Prerequisites: STUDENTS MUST BE A CONCEALED CARRY GRADUATE
Range Fee: $6.00
Personal Protection In the Home
The NRA Basics of Personal Protection In the Home course teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude essential to the safe and efficient use of a handgun for protection of self and family in the home.
During this eight-hour course, students should expect to shoot approximately 100 rounds of ammunition. Students will learn basic defensive shooting skills, strategies for home safety and responding to a violent confrontation, firearms and the law, how to choose a handgun for self-defense, and continued opportunities for skill development. Each student will receive the NRA Guide to the Basics of Personal Protection In The Home handbook, and a course completion certificate.
Personal Protection Outside the Home
Course Description: The NRA Basics of Personal Protection Outside the Home course provides comprehensive and intensive training in its approach to equip the defensive shooting candidate with the skills needed to survive serious adversaries.
The course teaches students the knowledge, skills and attitude to avoid dangerous confrontations and for the safe, effective and responsible use of a concealed pistol for self-defense outside the home. Students have the opportunity to attend this course using a quality, strong-side hip holster that covers the trigger, or a holster purse. From a review of safe firearms handling and proper mindset to presentation from concealment and multiple shooting positions, this course contains the essential skills and techniques needed to prevail in a life-threatening situation.
This is a three day course running Friday 5:30pm – 8:00pm, Saturday 8:00am – 5:00pm and Sunday 9:00am – 5:30pm
For Prior Deliberate Defense Concealed Carry Students ONLY: Your Deliberate Defense Concealed Carry class counts towards your Personal Protection Outside of the Home class! For prior Deliberate Defense CC students only, you may take just the range portion of the course for a reduced rate!